2004 年 8 月 27 日 (No.160)
   
 
 
   
 
1. I'm on top of the world today. 我今天快樂得飛上天了!
2. Me, too. 我也是。
3. What a great day! 真是美好的一天!
4. Yes, it's perfect. 是啊,真的很棒。
5. I'm so happy to be here today. 我好高興今天來到這裡。
6. I'm just happy to be together with you. 能和妳在一起我就很高興了。

on top of the world  phr. 感到非常快樂的
 
 
 
Let me say how pleased I am by that news.
  請容我說,聽到那個消息,我真高興。
I am so happy to hear that.
  聽到那件事,我真開心。
I am overjoyed by that good news.
  (I was overjoyed to hear the good news.)
  聽到那件好消息,我真是雀躍不已。
What a delightful day!
  真是愉快的一天!
It feels good to be alive.
  活著真好。
I've been smiling all day.
  我整天都在笑。
Things are looking up.
  情況越來越好了。
I'm in a great mood.
  我心情很好。
I'm happy.
  我很開心。
This is great.
  好極了。
Don't worry, be happy!
  (Also the name of a song.)
  別擔心,要開心!(亦為歌名)

overjoyed    adj. 欣喜若狂的
 
 
 
 
Adam is excited about going on a date with Mary. Mary, however, is not so excited.
  亞當就要和瑪麗去約會,感到很興奮,然而瑪麗卻不那麼興奮。

Adam: Are you ready, Mary? It's a beautiful day today. 亞當: 瑪麗,妳準備好了嗎?今天真是美好的一天!
Mary: Yeah, I guess so. What should we do? 瑪麗: 嗯,我想是吧。我們要做什麼?
Adam: It's up to you. I'll just be happy to be outside with you on such a nice day. 亞當: 由妳決定。能在這麼好的一天和妳出去,我就很開心了。
Mary: Well, the weather forecast said that it might rain. 瑪麗: 嗯,氣象預報說可能會下雨。
Adam: What? The sun is shining and there's not a cloud in the sky. It feels good to be alive on a day like this. 亞當: 什麼?現在可是陽光普照,萬里無雲呢。這種日子讓人覺得活著真好。
Mary: You certainly are in a good mood. I guess it's a good time to tell you that I got a promotion at work. 瑪麗: 你的心情真的不錯。我想現在正好適合告訴你,我升職了。
Adam: You did? What great news! I am overjoyed to hear that. 亞當: 真的?真是個好消息!聽到這個消息,我真是太高興了!
Mary: Well, it will probably mean more work and longer hours. 瑪麗: 嗯,這可能意味著工作更多,而且工時更長。
Adam: Look on the bright side. It will also mean higher pay. I'm so happy for you. 亞當: 往好的方面看吧。這也表示薪水更高。我真為妳高興!
  (Suddenly, it starts to rain.)   (突然間,開始下起雨。)
Mary: Oh no. It's raining. I guess we'll have to cancel our date. 瑪麗: 哎呀,下雨了,我想我們的約會得取消了。
Adam: No way! Rainy weather is perfect for sitting inside and chatting. You can tell me all about your new promotion. 亞當: 才不呢!下雨天正適合坐在室內聊天。妳可以跟我聊聊妳最近升職的事。
Mary: Um, great. (To herself) Wow. Adam can even get happy about a rainy day! 瑪麗: 嗯,好啊。(自言自語)哇,連下雨天都可以讓亞當高興!
 
       
 
 
 
 
 
Can Money Buy Happiness?  金錢能買到快樂嗎?
You've probably heard the song, "(Money) Can't Buy Me Love," but do you think that money can buy happiness?
  你可能聽過「愛情無價」這首歌,不過你覺得金錢能買到快樂嗎?
A recent study has shown that money can change your outlook on life.
Researchers at the University of Warwick in England studied the effects of unexpected money on more than 9,000 families.
The study concluded that winning as little as £1,000 (NT$62,000) caused people to become happier about their lives.
However, they also found out that gaining any amount less than £1 million (NT$62 million) did not have a lasting effect on people's happiness.
  最近有研究指出,金錢可以改變人們的人生觀。英國華威大學的研究人員針對超過九千個家庭研究意外之財對他們的影響,結果顯示只要贏得一千英鎊(約六萬二千元台幣)就能使人們對生活感到比較快樂。然而,他們也發現只要金額低於一百萬英鎊(約六千二百萬元台幣),就無法讓人長久快樂。
The experts concluded that for people to be happy, a good marriage and good health were actually more important than money.
  專家結論指出,人要感到快樂,美滿的婚姻和健康的身體其實比金錢更重要。
They also discovered that women were usually happier than men, and that thirty- to forty-year-olds were the least likely to be happy.
  他們也發現女性通常比男性快樂,而三十歲至四十歲的人最不快樂。
 
 
 
outlook    n. 前景;展望 conclude   v. 作結論;認定    
lasting   adj. 永續的;長久的        
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
在下列的情境對話中,填入適當的選項。
(A) economy
(B) negative
(C) stinks
(D) of the world
(E) don't worry, be happy
 

Jill: What a great day!
Alan: No, it's too hot.
Jill: The weather is perfect. I'm on top ______________!
Alan: Why are you so happy? This company ______________.
Jill: I'm just in a good mood. Come on, ______________!
Alan: It's too hot and the______________ is terrible! You have no reason to be happy!
Jill: Well, I have one good reason to be happy--I'm not as ______________ as you are.

 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
 
   
 
版權所有,未經本公司同意,請勿轉寄他人
www.LiveABC.com