Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 01 月 18 日 (No.598)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
   
  用於表達所遭遇的情況或經歷,主詞可為人或事物。
   
We are experiencing computer problems.
  目前我們的電腦出了問題。
   
The flight was experiencing some turbulence.
  飛機正遇到亂流。
   
The trains are experiencing a slight delay before departure.
  列車出發前受到了一點耽擱。
   
The airport has been experiencing rapid growth over the last few years.
 
這座機場過去這幾年來迅速發展。 。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
The ATM is experiencing a software malfunction at the moment.
  提款機目前發生程式故障。
   
We are experiencing an increase in demand for our product.
  我們的產品需求量愈來愈高。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
   
  搭機時可能會碰到意外狀況而影響行程,常見的情況包括:
  The flight is overbooked. 機票超額預訂。
  Several passengers got bumped to the next flight. 幾位旅客被迫改搭下班飛機。
  The landing gear needs to be checked. 起降設備得進行檢查。
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

想要婉拒別人的邀約時,就可以用 another time 來表示。

   
A: How about we go to dinner this Friday?
  我們這星期五一起吃晚餐?
   
B: I'm sorry, but I already have plans. Maybe another time.
  很抱歉,我已經有其他計畫了,改天吧。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
   
I'll have to catch you later. 下次吧。
I'll have to take a rain check. 我下次再補給你。
   
A: Let's have lunch.
  一起吃午餐吧。
   
B: Can I take a rain check? I have to finish this report by three.
  我改天再跟你一起吃好嗎?我必須在三點前做完這份報告。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  在美國看棒球賽,如果比賽因下雨中斷或取消,買了票的觀眾可以憑票根,下次再免費進場觀賞因故延期的球賽,這就是 rain check 的由來。如果想要拒絕別人的邀請時,I'll have to take a rain check 是個很有禮貌的說法喔!
  另外,在美國買東西的時候,如果你想買的某項特價商品賣光了,也可以跟店家索取 rain check,特價期過後可以憑這張 rain check 跟店家以當時的特價購買商品呢!美國的消費者保護法真是健全!
   
  ★正式一點可以這麼說.....................
I'm going to have to postpone. 我得延期。
   
I'm going to have to reschedule. 我得改時間。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  字首 ab- 表示「離開;分離」的意思,ab- 在 p 和 v 之前會變形為 a-,在 c 與 t 之前則為 abs-。此字首的字多帶有否定的意思。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  abnormal adj. 不正常的;反常的
Many animals exhibit abnormal behavior while in captivity.
  許多動物遭到囚禁時會出現反常行為。
   
  aboriginal adj. 土生土長的;原住民的 n. 原住民(大寫則指澳洲原住民)
The store that just opened downtown sells aboriginal art.
  市區剛開張的那間店販售原住民藝品。
   
  absorb v.  吸收(氣體、液體等);理解(知識);承擔
The plant's leaves absorb sunlight and convert it to energy.
  植物的葉子吸收陽光再將它轉化為能量。
   
  abstract adj.  抽象的 n. 摘要;抽象概念 v. 抽取;轉移
Many people find abstract ideas about mathematics hard to understand.
  許多人覺得數學的抽象概念很難懂。
   
  avert v.  轉開;避開(目光);避免
To avert a water crisis, the government urged people to save water.
  為了避免水資源危機,政府鼓勵人民節省用水。