Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 05 月 03 日 (No.613)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
   
  用於詢問別人是否知道某項事物時。
   
Do you know of any good restaurants close by?
  你知道附近有什麼不錯的餐廳嗎?
   
Do you know of any markets in the vicinity we should explore?
  你知道附近有什麼市場我們可以去挖寶的嗎?
   
Do you know of any local specialties?
  你知道當地有什麼名產嗎?
   
Do you know of any coffee shops nearby?
  你知道附近有什麼咖啡館嗎?
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Do you know of any new clients we should pitch our idea to?
  你知道我們應該針對哪些新客戶來設定想法的方向呢?
   
Do you know of any other way to reach Jerry?
  你知道還有什麼其他方法能聯絡上傑瑞嗎?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  詢問「附近」有什麼,除了可用 close by 外,也可說:nearby、near here、around here、in the vicinity、in the neighborhood、in these parts
   
Are there any souvenir shops in the neighborhood?
  這附近有紀念品店嗎?
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

要求對方正經點、別開玩笑的時候使用。

   
A: Are you really a black belt in tae kwon do?
  你真的是跆拳道黑帶喔?
   
B: Don't be silly. I was just saying that to scare off those guys.
  別傻了。我只是為了嚇嚇那群人才那麼說的。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

it will put hair on your chest 意思是做了這件事之後你會變得比較像個男人,另外一個說法是 it will put lead in your pencil,兩者意思大同小異,不過後者的說法較為粗野,而且稍微帶有顏色,所以在使用時要看場合免得出糗。

   
Don't be daft.
  別傻了。
   
Get real.
  說真的。
   
Get serious.
  認真點。
   
Don't be ridiculous.
  別鬧了。
   
Are you kidding?
  你開什麼玩笑?
   
A: Did you really meet the President?
  你真的見過總統嗎?
   
B: Don't be ridiculous. How would I ever meet him?
  別鬧了。我怎麼有可能見到他?
   
A: Are these six pizzas all for you?
  這六個披薩是你自己要吃的嗎?
   
B: Are you kidding? I'm buying them for the team.
  怎麼可能?我是幫整個球隊買的啦。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  字首 dis- 包括「缺少;相反;分離;反轉;剝奪」等否定意思,之後接f 時,dis- 會同化為 dif-,如:different、differ 等。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  difficulty n. 困難
Call me if you have any difficulties with your computer.
 
如果你電腦有任何問題,儘管打電話給我。
   
  discharge v. 放電;釋放(液體、氣體);解職;退役;履行
The dam discharged excess water after the storm.
  暴風雨過後水霸排放出過多的水量。
   
  disapprove v.  不同意;不贊成
My friends and I disapprove of keeping dogs in cages.
  我朋友們和我都反對把狗關在籠子裡。
   
  discount n.  折扣 v.  打折;忽視;低估
If you choose to pay in cash, we can give you a five percent discount on the item.
  如果你選擇付現,這項商品我們可以給你打九五折。
   
  disgrace n.  恥辱;丟臉的事 v.  使丟臉
When it was proven that Sam had accepted bribes, the family was in disgrace.
  山姆被證實收賄時,讓全家人都蒙羞。