Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 05 月 17 日 (No.615)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
   
  the case 是指「事實;真相」,故此句型即表示若實情如此,則要採取什麼樣的行動。
   
If that's the case, then we'll have to get our legal teams here again.
  如果是這樣的話,我們得再找律師團來。
   
If that's the case, then I'm leaving immediately.
  如果是這樣的話,那我馬上就要離開。
   
If that's the case, then our meeting here is finished.
  如果是這樣的話,我們的會議就到此結束。
   
If that's the case, then I'm not going to discuss the matter any further.
  如果是這樣的話,我就不再進一步討論這件事了。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
If that's the case, then I suggest you try Dr. Mills. He's the best ophthalmologist.
  如果是這樣的話,我建議你看米爾斯醫生。他是最棒的眼科醫生。
   
If that's the case, then they should try the next store.
  如果是這樣的話,他們應該到下一間店看看。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  在談判場合,常會用 if... then 的句型,常見的有:
• If sth should happen, then... 如果某事發生的話,那麼……
• If that's the situation, then... 如果情況是那樣,那麼……
• If what I believe is true, then... 如果我相信的是真的,那麼……
• If what you say is true, then... 如果你說的是真的,那麼……
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

這句話是用來勸對方「不要急躁;別煩惱」。

   
Don't fret. You go take care of your sister and I'll watch the baby.
  別著急,你去照顧你妹妹,我來看小孩。
   
A: I'm just worried that it's going to rain.
  我只是擔心會下雨。
   
B: Don't fret. We can just move the party inside.
  別著急。我們可以把派對移到室內舉行。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

請人別擔心另外一個常見的說法是 everything will work out,這個說法比較類似中文的「船到橋頭自然直」,表示事情總有解決的辦法,擔心也沒用。

   
No fret.
  別著急。
   
Nothing to worry about.
  沒什麼好擔心的。
   
Don't give it a/another thought.
  別再掛念這件事;別再想了。
   
Don't worry.
  別擔心。
   
A: Are you sure we're going to have enough food?
  你確定我們有足夠的食物嗎?
   
B: Don't worry. We have plenty for now, and I've already sent Hank out for more.
  別擔心。我們現在還有很多呢,而且我已經派漢克再去買啦。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  en-、em- 也表示 in、into、within(進入其中)的意思,有時也作為強調用。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  embark v. 乘船;搭載;著手;從事
The company embarked on a new project.
 
這家公司著手進行一項新計畫。
   
  employ v. 雇用;運用;利用
Computer technology is now employed in everything from cars to cell phones.
  現今舉凡汽車至手機均運用了電腦科技。
   
  empathy n.  同感;共鳴;同理心
Emma had two children of her own, so she had empathy for Carla's problem with her son.
  艾瑪自己有兩個小孩,所以她對卡拉兒子的問題心有同感。
   
  enclose v.  包圍;把……圍起來;附函
A strong fence enclosing a garden will keep unwanted animals out of the garden.
  圍繞花園的堅固圍籬會把不受歡迎的動物阻擋在花園外。
   
  encounter v.  遭遇;偶遇
As long as we do not encounter any problems, the project should proceed on schedule.
  只要我們沒有遇到任何問題,這個計畫應該可以如期進行。