Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 09 月 20 日 (No.633)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於詢問價錢或價值時。
   
How much is the exchange rate for U.S. dollars?
  美金的兌換匯率是多少?
   
How much are the personalized checks with the yellow flowers on them?
  這種上面有黃花的個人專屬支票要多少錢?
   
How much will the CD be worth after six months?
  這張定存單在六個月後會值多少?
   
How much was the service charge for that?
  那項服務費要多少錢?
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
How much are the bottles of perfume and cologne at the duty-free store?
  免稅商店的香水跟古龍水賣多少錢?
   
How much will the map of the old quarter of town be?
  這張舊城區的地圖要多少錢?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  bank 有一說源自義大利文中的工作台 banco,因為以前猶太裔的義大利人都在市場的工作台(bench)上進行交易,也有一說是源自法文中的 beque,也是工作台的意思。而銀行員(bank teller)這一名稱的由來則源自一九二九年股市大崩盤時,銀行裡位階較低的銀行員必須告訴(tell)客戶戶頭裡的錢都沒了,之後負責告訴客戶銀行基本業務的人員就稱為 bank teller。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

當兩個人意見相左,其中一方不想再爭論的時候,就可以用這句話表示退讓,但通常也表示不會為這個決定負責任。

   
A: I still think we should paint it blue.
  我還是覺得應該把它漆成藍色的。
   
B: Have it your way. I'm tired of discussing it.
  就照你的意思吧,我不想討論了。
   
A: Don't use staples. It ruins the paper. Use paper clips.
  別用訂書針,會毀了紙的。用迴紋針。
   
B: Oh, have it your way. I don't see how it makes a difference.
  喔,隨你便。我看不出來有什麼不一樣。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
You're the boss.
  你說了算。
   
As you wish.
  如你所願。
   
Whatever makes you happy.
  你高興就好。
   
If it makes you happy.
  如果這樣你就高興的話。
   
I'm not going to fight about it.
  我不想爭論這個。
   
A: Let's get sausage and pineapple on the pizza.
  我們在披薩上加臘腸和鳳梨吧。
   
B: As you wish. I'll eat anything.
  如你所願。我什麼都吃。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  字首 ob- 主要是指「朝向;在……上方;反對;阻礙」的意思,也用來表示「反轉;反向」。此外,英文解釋中的 over 除了指「在……上方」外,也可表示「完全覆蓋」,通常是作為強調用。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  obey v. 聽從;遵從;服從
You should obey your parents and be home by 10:00 pm.
 
你應該聽從爸媽的話,在晚上十點前回家。
   
  oblige v. 迫使;使不得不;施恩於;使感激
Fred drove too fast and was obliged to pay a speeding fine.
  弗萊德車子開太快,被迫繳交超速罰單。
   
  obscure  adj. 含糊的;難解的;鮮為人知的 v. 使隱晦
Albert Einstein was an obscure patent clerk when he was awarded his first doctorate.
  愛因斯坦拿到第一個博士學位時還只是個無名的專利員。
   
  obstacle  n.  阻礙;障礙;障礙物
At the horse show, Susan jumped her horse over several obstacles.
  馬術表演時,蘇珊騎著她的馬跳過好幾道障礙物。
   
  obvious  adj. 顯著的;明顯的
Some news was objective, while some news had an obvious bias.
  有些新聞很客觀,有些新聞卻有明顯的偏見。