Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 09 月 27 日 (No.634)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於確認某人是否願意做某事,或介意你做某事。直接要求對方做某事可能過於冒昧,也可用 if you don't mind 讓語氣委婉一點。
   
If you don't mind, I'll need your signature on this slip, please.
  如果您不介意的話,麻煩您在這張單子上簽名。
   
If he doesn't mind, tell him to sign his name again.
  如果他不介意的話,請他再簽一次名。
   
If you don't mind, please return during banking hours.
  如果您不介意的話,請在銀行營業時間再過來。
   
If you don't mind, I'd like to pay with my credit card.
  如果你不介意的話,我想用信用卡付款。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
If you don't mind, you can stay in my apartment while you're in town.
  如果你不介意的話,你來城裡的時候可以住我的公寓。
   
We would like to speak to the manager if you don't mind.
  如果你不介意的話,我們想和經理談談。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

人家問你 Do you mind . . . 時,意思是「你介不介意…… 」,因此可別把願意幫忙說成了 Yes . . . 囉。

A: Do you mind writing down the exchange rates for me? 你介意幫我把匯率寫下來嗎?

B: No, I don't mind. I'd be happy to help. 好啊。樂意之至。

B: Yes, I'm sorry. I can't help you right now. 很抱歉。我現在沒辦法幫你。

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

要人別客氣,想要拿什麼東西儘管自己拿就用 Help yourself,如果還要特別說明某樣東西的話,可以說 Help yourself to something。

   
Help yourself to some drinks and snacks.
  飲料和零食都自己取用。
   
A: May I look at one of these pamphlets?
  我可以看一下這些小冊子嗎?
   
B: Help yourself. They're free.
  自己來。這些都是免費的。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
Don't be shy.
  別害羞。
   
Do as you please.
  想做什麼就做什麼。
   
Don't stand on formality.
  別這麼生疏。(較正式)
   
Make yourself at home.
  當作自己的家一樣。
   
A: So this is your place?
  這是你住的地方?
   
B: Yes, it's small but clean and cozy. Make yourself at home.
  對啊,小了點但是乾淨溫馨。你就當作是自己家就好了。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  formality 指「形式」,don't stand on formality 就是請人不用拘泥於形式而拘謹的站著,通常這句話用於第一次見面或較不熟的人之間。
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  ob- 之後接 c、f、p 時會變形為 oc-、of-、op-,另外還有 o- 的變形,不過目前只有少數幾個字,例如:omit(省略;遺漏)。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  occasion n. 時機;場合
The opening of the new modern art museum was a historic occasion.
 
這座新的現代美術館開幕是個具有歷史意義的時刻。
   
  occupy v. 擔任(職務);位居(某地位);佔用;佔領
The movie occupied the top spot at the box office for several weeks.
  這部電影位居票房排行榜冠軍好幾個星期。
   
  offend  v. 冒犯;觸怒;違背
Paul's bad language offended everyone in the office.
  保羅的粗話冒犯了辦公室裡的每一個人。
   
  offer  v.  提供;提議;主動提出  n.  提議;報價
The car offers fantastic fuel efficiency and performance but at a premium price.
  這部車的油耗和性能表現都非常棒,但價格不斐。
   
  opponent  n. 對手;敵手  adj.  敵對的
The boxer knocked his opponent out cold to win the match.
  拳擊手將對手擊昏,贏得了比賽。