Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 10 月 25 日 (No.638)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  對所要陳述的事情有把握、不會引起爭議時,就可用這個句型表示。
   
It's safe to say that you won't be moving much for a couple of weeks.
  可以確定的是,你有好幾個星期都不能動。
   
It's safe to say that the patient is out of immediate danger.
  可以確定的是,該病患脫離險境了。
   
It's safe to say that this hospital's medical staff is the best in the country.
  可以確定的是,這間醫院擁有全國最優秀的醫療團隊。
   
It's safe to say that your condition has improved.
  可以確定的是,你的狀況已有改善。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
It's safe to say that you can walk there in less than 15 minutes.
  可以確定的是,你能在十五分鐘內走到那裡。
   
It's safe to say that this is the best beef noodle soup.
  可以確定的是,這碗是最好吃的牛肉麵。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

對於所言有相當的把握,還可以這麼說:

  Without a doubt, wearing a helmet will prevent you from getting seriously injured during an accident.
  毫無疑問,戴安全帽會防止你在事故中嚴重受傷。
  Undoubtedly, you are very lucky.
  絲毫不用懷疑,你真的很幸運。
  It's unquestionable that you will have to stay at the hospital for a few more days.
  你肯定得在醫院多待上幾天了。
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

覺得對方所說的話不合情理的時候就會這麼說。通常帶有令人不敢相信的語氣。

   
A: It's your fault.
  這是你的錯。
   
B: How can you say that? I was only trying to help!
  你怎麼能這麼說?我只是試著幫忙而已!
   
A: I hate working with George.
  我討厭和喬治一起工作。
   
B: How can you say that? George is a nice guy, and he tries hard.
  你怎麼能這麼說?喬治是個好人,他很努力的。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
   
What brings you to that conclusion?
  你怎麼會有這個結論的?
   
Why do you say that?
  你為什麼會這麼說?
   
What makes you say that?
  你怎麼會這麼說?
   
A: That movie was so boring.
  那部電影無聊透了。
   
B: What makes you say that? I thought it was really good.
  你怎麼會這麼說?我覺得很棒啊!
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  通常這麼說時,都是要對方拿出證據來證明。
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  字首 per- 表示「透過;貫穿;完全;徹底」的意思,有時可作為強調使用,如:perfuse 就是 per-(完全;強調)+ fuse(傾瀉), 表示「傾注;佈滿」的意思。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  perfume n. 香水
Sandra sprayed some perfume on her wrists before she went out.
 
珊卓拉出門前在她手腕上噴灑一些香水。
   
  perhaps adv. 或許;大概;可能
Perhaps you should go to bed and get some rest.
  或許你應該去睡覺,休息一下。
   
  permanent  adj. 永久的;永恆的;難以抹滅的
Listening to loud music can result in permanent ear damage.
  聽音樂聲音太大可能會導致永久的聽力受損。
   
  persevere  v. 堅持(做某事);不屈不撓
Jay's ability to persevere despite many obstacles helped him to become a great pianist.
  傑不管遇到什麼困境都能堅持不懈,讓他成為偉大的鋼琴家。
   
  persuade  v. 說服;使相信
John tried to persuade Sarah that her actions had been right.
  約翰設法讓莎拉相信她沒做錯。