Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 11 月 08 日 (No.640)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  因為某個原因而需要做某事時,就可用這個句型表示,原因副詞子句(because . . .)可置於主要子句的前面或後面。
   
Because your ribs are injured, you'll need to keep ice on your chest to reduce any pain or swelling.
  因為你的肋骨受傷了,所以你需要在胸口冰敷來減輕疼痛或腫脹。
   
Because the specialist is on vacation, we'll need to take you to a different hospital.
  因為醫生休假去了,所以我們需要送你到別家醫院。
   
We'll need to go to another pharmacy because this one doesn't carry the medication I was prescribed.
  我們需要到別間藥局,因為這間沒有賣我的處方藥。
   
Because you need a prescription, you'll need to see a doctor.
  因為你需要處方藥,所以你得去看醫生。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Because the factory has closed for the day, you'll need to come back tomorrow to talk to the production manager.
  因為工廠今天休息,所以你需要等到明天再來跟生產部經理洽談。
   
You'll need to go through security again because there's a problem with your bag.
  你需要再通過一次安檢,因為你的袋子有問題。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

常見外傷的處理,英文這麼說:
• bandage 繃帶包紮
• brace 支架、夾板固定
• cast 打石膏
• heat 熱敷
• ice 冰敷
• stitch 縫針

 
 
 
 
   
 
 

這句話雖是問句,但事實上說話者不見得要對方回答,通常用於對方竟能做到某事,出乎說話者意料之外,當然有時說話者也會因為太驚訝而要對方給個合理的解釋。

   
How did you do that? You just pressed one button and fixed the computer.
  你是怎麼辦到的?你只按了一個按鈕就把電腦修好了。
   
A: Just fold this and this, then pull this piece here. Then, voila, it's a bird.
  把這個和這個摺起來,然後把這一塊拉出來。然後,喏,這就是鳥啦。
   
B: How did you do that? I can never get this origami to look right.
  你是怎麼辦到的?我怎麼也沒辦法把摺紙弄好。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
You know just what to do.
  你總是知道該怎麼做。
   
Are you sure you've never done this before?
  你真的從沒來做過這個嗎?
   
You have a knack for this sort of thing.
  這種事你總是抓得到竅門。
   
What's your secret?
  你的訣竅是什麼?
   
A: You are such a good guitar player. What's your secret?
  你真是個很厲害的吉他手。你的訣竅是什麼?
   
B: Practice, practice, practice.
  練習、練習、再練習。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  knack 指「經過多次練習後訓練出來的技術、訣竅」。通常要回應上述的讚美時,可以用 why, thank you(唉唷,你不嫌棄啦!)來表達。
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  字首 pre- 與上一個字首 post- 互為相反詞,表示「之前;事先; 在……之前」的意思,可以指時間、空間或順序。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  precaution n. 預防措施;預防;警惕
If you take the right precautions, you can have a safe trip abroad.
 
如果你預防措施做得正確,就能安心出國旅遊。
   
  predecessor n. 前任;前輩;被取代者
Your predecessor lasted two months at this job; I hope you stay longer.
  這個職位的前任員工任職兩個月,我希望你能待更久一點。
   
  pregnant  adj. 懷孕的;有身孕的
Just when she was promoted to manager, Jane realized she was pregnant.
  珍才剛獲擢升為經理,就發現她懷孕了。
   
  preliminary  adj. 初步的;預備的;開始的  n. 初步;開始
The staff held a preliminary meeting before launching the project.
  組員在開始進行此項專案前開過了預備會議。
   
  preposition  n. 介系詞
Writing a descriptive sentence using no prepositions can be difficult.
  寫描述句而沒用到介系詞很難。