Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2013 年 12 月 27 日 (No.647)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於強力邀請某人一起參與某項活動,帶有不容對方拒絕的意味。說這句話時須注意,若過於強硬會顯得失禮。
   
You must come with us to wish her success.
  妳一定要跟我們一起去向她祝賀。
   
Paul must come with the rest of the team to see Jim off.
  保羅一定要和其他隊員去為吉姆送行。
   
They must come with the family to celebrate Christmas this year.
  今年他們一定要跟家人一起來慶祝聖誕節。
   
He must come with us to have a meal at the new bistro on the corner.
  他一定要跟我們一起到街角新開的小餐館吃頓飯。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Darrin must come with us to the airport to say good-bye to Uncle Gary.
  達倫一定要跟我們到機場和蓋瑞叔叔道別。
   
You must come with me to see the selection of wines they have in this shop.
  你一定要跟我們去看看這間店裡可以選購的酒。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

如果想要強力邀請別人,你還可以這麼說:
You have to be at the parent-teacher conference today.
你得參加今天的家長懇親會。

Missing the community center's music performance isn't an option.
絕不能錯過社區活動中心的音樂會。

 
 
 
 
   
 
 

不論是因為感動、生氣、難過或尷尬而說不出話來的時候,這句話都可以派上用場。巧妙的是,說這句話時的當下情緒只有當事人知道,其他人只能依說話者的口吻猜測其心情。

   
When my boss said I was his best employee, I didn't know what to say.
  我老闆說我是他最好的員工時,我不知道該說什麼。
   
A: I'd like to present our Employee of the Year, Harold Rice.
  容我介紹我們的年度員工,哈洛德萊斯。
   
B: I don't know what to say. This is the best thing that's ever happened to me.
  我不知道該說什麼。這是我遇過最好的事。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
I'm at a loss for words.
  我無言以對。
   
Words fail me.
  我說不出話來了。
   
I'm speechless.
  我啞口無言。
   
A: While you were gone, we cleaned and redecorated the entire house. What do you think?
  你不在的時候,我們清理還重新裝潢了整間房子。你覺得怎麼樣?
   
B: I'm speechless.
  我啞口無言。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  words fail me 字面意思是「字詞拋棄我、陷我於無助」,指的是無法把想法、感受付諸言語,主要是用在對於某事過於震驚或訝異而說不出話來的情形,是不是很有趣呢?比方說有人帶著三任前夫去參加婚禮的時候,words fail me 就更能顯出說話者的驚訝程度了。
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  字首 syn- 表示「一起;同時」的意思,帶有此字首的字多含有「相同;對等」的意思。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  synchronize v. 同時發生;同步
Arnold and Barbara synchronized their schedules to spend more time with each other.
 
阿諾和芭芭拉把行程調整成同步好讓彼此有較多的時間相處。
   
  syndrome n. 併發症;症候群
Forgetfulness and dizziness are part of the syndrome my grandfather suffers from.
  健忘和暈眩是我祖父承受的部份症候群。
   
  synergy  n. 綜效;加起來的效果;協力
There is a lot of synergy between the two companies.
  這兩家公司之間產生很大的綜效。
   
  synonym  n. 同義字詞
The reporter did not say Brittney died, but instead used the synonym "passed away."
  記者並未說布蘭妮「死亡」,而是用同義字詞「離去」。
   
  synthesis  n. 合成;綜合;綜合體
College essays require students to create a synthesis of facts and their own thoughts.
  大學論文需要學生將事實和他們的想法相互結合。