Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2014 年 01 月 24日 (No.651)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於詢問對方是否有空可以做某事,通常用於請求別人協助時。
   
Do you have a second to help me put these groceries in the car?
  你有沒有空幫我把這些雜貨搬到車子裡?
   
Do you have a second to show me how to use this iPhone?
  你有沒有空教我用這台 iPhone?
   
Does she have a second to help give a tour of the house?
  她有沒有空幫忙帶人參觀一下房子?
   
Do they have a second to join us for some brunch?
  他們有沒有空和我們吃頓早午餐?
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Do we have a second to stop at the duty-free shop before boarding?
  我們在登機前有沒有時間逛免稅店?
   
Does he have a second to show me the new figures for this quarter?
  他有沒有空讓我看看這一季的新數據?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

問別人有沒有空幫忙時,可以這麼說:
Do you have a minute to help me cut this cake?
你有沒有空幫我切這個蛋糕?

If you have a second, mind helping me find my keys?
如果你有空,介意幫我找鑰匙嗎?

Can you spare a second to look at my school paper?
你能否空出一點時間幫我看看學校的報告?

 
 
 
 
   
 
 

這句話常帶有驚訝的語氣,用於回應某個讓我們想法改觀的意見。

   
A: Snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them.
  蛇怕你比你怕蛇多呢。
   
B: I never thought of it that way.
  我從沒這麼想過。
   
I never thought of it that way, but I think you are right.
  我從沒這麼想過,不過你應該是對的。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
That puts things into a whole new perspective.
  那樣的話就會有新的觀點。
   
I had never considered it from that point of view.
  我從來沒從這個角度去看這件事。
   
That puts things in a whole new light.
  那樣的話就有新的看法。
   
A: Well, you know Sharon has another job and is also going to school.
  你知道雪倫兼差而且還去上課。
   
B: That puts things in a whole new light. No wonder she's tired all the time.
  那樣的話我對這事就有不同的看法。難怪她常常很累。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  在不同亮度的燈光下,東西會呈現不同的面貌,所以下次說話或做事之前記得要三思而後行(think before you act),才不會損人不利己喔!
   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  price、preci 表示「價格;價值;報酬」的意思,prize(獎品;獎賞)、praise(稱讚;讚賞)也是同源字,均可看出字根「獎品;價值」的含意。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  appraise v. 估價;評價
The woman had the ring appraised and learned that it was worth very little.
 
那名婦人把戒指送去估價,發現價值很低。
   
  appreciate   v. 評價;欣賞;感謝
I appreciate your offer to help, but I think I can finish this task on my own.
  我很感謝你提議幫忙,但我想我能自己完成這個任務。
   
  depreciate  v. 降價;貶值;貶低
My car depreciates in value every year.
  我的車子每年都在貶值
   
  precious  adj. 珍貴的;寶貴的
Many people feel that the old library is a precious piece of town history.
  很多人覺得這間老圖書館是鎮上歷史的珍貴一頁。
   
  priceless  adj. 無價的;極珍貴的
The time that children spend with their grandparents is priceless.
  孩子與祖父母相處的時光是無價的。