Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2014 年 01 月 31日 (No.652)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於詢問對方是否能提供協助時,give sb a hand 表示「幫某人忙」的意思。
   
Can you give me a hand with this car door?
  你能不能幫我開車門?
   
Can you give your brother a hand with his homework?
  你能不能協助你弟弟做功課?
   
Can John give Paul a hand with his motorcycle? It needs repairs.
  保羅的機車需要人修理,約翰能不能幫他?
   
Can we give those people a hand with changing their flat tire?
  我們能不能幫那些人更換爆胎?
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Can you give me a hand with this projection equipment?
  你能不能幫我看一下這台投影機?
   
Can Ed give us a hand with all these accounting figures?
  艾德能不能幫我們處理這些會計數據?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

麻煩別人幫忙時,可以這麼說:
Can you do Jack a favor and watch his dog tomorrow?
你能幫傑克個忙,明天幫他顧狗嗎?
Can you help out with the chores at home?
你能幫忙做家事嗎?
Would it be too much to ask you to fix my computer?
請你幫我修電腦會很麻煩嗎?

 
 
 
 
   
 
 

了解對方要表達的意思,但並不表示絕對贊同對方的說法。

   
I see your point. However, we should ask everyone what they think before we decide.
  我知道你的意思了。我們下決定前應該詢問大家的意見。
   
A: I don't think these numbers are correct. If they were, our company would be in big trouble now.
  我認為這些數字不正確。如果正確的話,我們公司現在就麻煩大了。
   
B: I see your point. Let me check the figures again and get back to you.
  我知道你的意思了。讓我再檢查一次數字之後再回覆你。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
I know what you mean.
  我知道你指什麼。
   
I understand what you are trying to say.
  我懂你要說什麼。
   
I dig it.
  我瞭。
   
I see where you're coming from.
  我知道你的意思。
   
A: If we work together, we will all benefit.
  如果我們合作,對大家都有好處的。
   
B: I see where you're coming from. What's your plan?
  我知道你的意思。你有什麼計畫?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  where one is coming from 與 what one means 意思相同,是指依據某人的背景或過往的經驗所得到的觀點。
   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  prin、prim 表示「基本的;首要的;最初的」的意思,從 prince(王子)、prime minister(總理)、premier(首要的;最先的)都可看出這個字根的涵意。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  primary adj. 主要的;首要的;基本的 n. 居首位的事物;初選
The rent I collect from my apartments is my primary source of income.
 
我從公寓收的租金是我的主要收入來源。
   
  primitive   adj. 原始的;本能的;粗糙的;簡單的
People from the primitive village go hunting in the forest for food.
  住在原始村落裡的人會到森林裡打獵覓食。
   
  principal  adj. 主要的;首要的 n. 校長
The school principal swore he would find out who was behind the prank.
  學校校長發誓一定要找到惡作劇的元兇。
   
  principle  n. 原則;原理
Eating meat is against my principles.
  吃肉有違我的原則。
   
  priority  n. 優先考慮的事物;優先權;在前
Our company's top priority is customer satisfaction.
  我們公司最重視的就是客戶滿意度。