Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2014 年 02 月 28日 (No.656)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  此為較正式的道謝用語,也可以延伸用於表達祝賀等其他方面。
   
Please accept my appreciation for all your help studying for the law school exam.
  您幫我準備法學院考試,請接受我的謝意。
   
Please accept my deepest thanks for throwing this going away party for me.
  你幫我辦了這場送別會,請接受我最深的謝意。
   
Please accept our deepest gratitude for helping our son find his way home.
  你幫我們兒子找到路回家,請接受我們最深的謝意。
   
Please accept our most humble thanks for attending the grand opening of our store.
  您來參加本店的盛大開幕儀式,請接受我們最誠摯的謝意。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Please accept my warmest thanks for offering me this position at the firm.
  您讓我在公司擔任這個職務,請接受我最誠摯的謝意。
   
Please accept this bonus for all of the overtime you did last month to finish the project.
  上個月你加班完成這個案子,請接受這份獎金。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

除了口頭道謝外,也可寫封感謝函(thank-you letter),一般會說明幾個重點:欲感謝的事、收穫、再次感謝等。例如:Thank you for taking me out on your boat. Seeing the sunrise from the ocean has to be the best way to start the day. Some of the pictures from the trip are on my wall to help me remember the wonderful time I had. Thanks again for such a great time.

 
 
 
 
   
 
 

警告對方要跟上級或能主持公道的人舉發他不妥的行徑,語氣中帶有警告意味。

   
If you don't give me back my toys, I'll tell on you!
  如果你不把我的玩具還給我,我會打你小報告的。
   
A: I'm going to sneak out tonight and meet my friends.
  今晚我要偷溜出去跟我朋友碰面。
   
B: If you do, I'll tell on you. You know it's wrong.
  你如果這麼做的話,我會打你小報告的,你知道這樣做不對。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
I'll tell the cops / your mom / my big brother.
  我會跟警察/你媽/我哥說的。
   
  ★警告對方後果會怎樣時可以這麼說...............
You're going to get caught.
  你會被逮到的。
   
You'll get in trouble.
  你會惹麻煩的。
   
A: Quick! Tell me the answer to number seven.
  快點,跟我說第七題的答案。
   
B: No, that's cheating. You'll get in trouble.
  不行,那可是作弊,你會惹麻煩的。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

背叛、出賣某人也可用 rat on someone 這個片語,不過呢,因為你不會稱自己為 rat(作名詞指「老鼠;叛徒;無恥之徒」),所以不會用在主詞為第一人稱的時候,也就是說沒有人會說:I'll rat you out、I'll rat on you,不過你可以說 Tommy ratted me out(湯米把我抖出來)。

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
   
  reg 主要表示「治理;控制」的意思,由於以前國王擁有統治權力,故此字根又與「王室;君王」有關,其他像 realm(王國;領域)、reign(支配;統治時期)拼法雖不同,但都與此字根同源,皆帶有「治理;統治」的意思。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  regal adj. 王室的;君王的;豪華的;富麗堂皇的
Purple is a regal color.
 
紫色是王室的顏色。
   
  regiment   n. 軍團;一大群;大量  v. 把……編成團;嚴密管制
The colonel was informed that some of the troops in his regiment had been captured.
 
上校被告知他的軍隊中有些人被俘虜了。
   
  region  n. 管轄區;區域;領域;部位
Most of the lakes in this region are polluted, as are most of the rivers.
  這個地區的湖泊大都受到污染,大部分的河川也是。
   
  regulate  v. 控制;管理;調整;為……制定規章
The government regulates the age at which children may begin working.
  政府對於兒童幾歲可以開始工作有規定。
   
  sovereign  n. 君主  adj. 主權獨立的;擁有最高權力的
Monaco is one of the smallest sovereign nations in the world.
 
摩納哥是世界上最小的主權獨立國家之一。