Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2014 年 06 月 13 日 (No.671)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於描述某人、某物看起來的樣子。
   
You look like you've lost weight since I last saw you.
  妳看起來比我上次見到妳還要瘦耶。
   
You look like you've gotten into shape.
  看來你的體能越來越好了。
   
Your parents look like they've been working out.
  看樣子你爸媽一直有在運動喔。
   
This bill from the hospital looks like it must be a kilometer long!
  醫院的帳單看起來足足有一公里長!
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Jim looks like he really enjoyed his vacation.
  看樣子吉姆渡假時玩得很開心。
   
Frances looks like she stayed up all night preparing for this presentation.
  看樣子法蘭西絲整晚都在準備這場報告。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  說明某人或某事物「好像……」,你還可以用 look as if/though,後面接子句。
• The woman looks as if she is happy.
那名女子看起來很快樂。
• The window looks as though it is shut tight.
窗戶看起來好像關得很緊。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

這句話可能源自拳擊用語,指被扯下來的不是自己鼻子上的皮,延伸有「發生的事並不會傷害到我;我無所謂;這件事不是我的問題;我不在乎」等意思,是不是與中文的「又不會從我身上掉一塊肉」,有異曲同工之妙呢?

   
If you want to watch TV all weekend, it's no skin off my nose.
  如果你整個週末都要看電視的話,我無所謂,反正又不會少一塊肉。
   
A: I don't think this painting is very good.
  我覺得這幅畫不是很好。
   
B: It's no skin off of my nose. I bought it at a yard sale.
  無所謂,我在庭院拍賣買到的。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
  對我來說不痛不癢。
   
None of my business.
  不關我的事。
   
Makes no difference to me.
  我沒差。
   
I just work here.
  我只是奉命行事。
   
Whatever.
  隨便。
   
A: I'm going to have to give Peter some bad news.
  我得告訴彼得幾個壞消息。
   
B: Whatever. I'm just glad it's not me.
  隨便,還好不是跟我說。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

I just work here 字面意思就是「我只是在這裡工作」,指做決定的另有其人,自己並沒有主導權之意。

   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  aster、astro 源自於希臘文 astron,在古希臘文中,astron 表示複數 the stars,而 aster 則表示單數 a star,至於拉丁文中的星星則是 stella,在英文中都可看到這些字根。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  astrology n. 占星術;占星學
Karen used an astrology chart to decide which day to get married.
 
凱倫用星座命盤來決定結婚的日子。
   
  astronaut  n. 太空人
A cutting-edge spacecraft was used to carry the astronauts to the Moon.
 
最先進的太空船被用來載送太空人登月。
   
  astronomy  n. 天文學
Robert's brother taught him a thing or two about astronomy.
  羅伯特的哥哥教他一些天文學方面的知識。
   
  constellation  n. 星座;星群;星宿
Orion is an easy constellation to find in the winter sky.
  獵戶座是冬季星空中很容易找到的星座。
   
  disaster  n. 災害;災難;不幸
The natural disaster brought the people in town together.
 
這場天災讓小鎮居民團結一心。