Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2014 年 08 月 15 日 (No.680)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  throw in 表示「額外贈送」,此句型用於詢問對方能否提供某物品作為贈品。
   
Could you throw in this small bottle of cologne with that?
  那你可不可以順便送我這瓶小瓶的古龍水?
   
Could the fitness center throw in free pool use with our membership?
  我們加入會員的話,健身中心可不可以讓我們免費使用游泳池?
   
Could the apartment complex throw in a washing machine if we buy the unit?
  如果我們買下這個套房,公寓大樓可不可以送我們一台洗衣機?
   
Could they throw in a stereo system if we buy the car?
  如果我們買這輛車,他們可不可以附送音響?
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
Could you throw in a pair of AAA-sized batteries?
  你可不可以送我一組三號電池?
   
Could you throw in an upgraded dental plan in the benefits package?
  你能不能免費提高我們套裝福利中的牙醫給付額度?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  通常商品標上價格標籤(price tag)就表示不接受議價,不過有時可以拿到免費的小贈品(complimentary item),即使在紐約市的高級百貨公司亦同。另外,有些化妝品專櫃,也會給消費的客人免費的試用品(sample)。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

說這句話時並不是真的要猜測對方要告訴你什麼事,而是早就猜到對方要說的是什麼,通常對對方所要說的和你所推測的是同一件事有一定的把握。

   
Let me guess. You don't want to go to work today.
  我想,你今天是不想去上班。
   
A: There's something I have to tell you.
  有點事我要跟你說。
   
B: Let me guess. My dog ran away. I saw him over by the school.
  我猜猜,我的狗逃跑了是吧。我在學校那邊有看到牠。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  另一個比較沒有禮貌的說法為 duh,意思就是「拜託,這還用說」,通常這樣說的時候語氣會帶點不耐煩,而且會帶著將手攤開或翻白眼的表情。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
   
I can tell.
  我看得出來。
   
I know what happened.
  我知道發生什麼事了。
   
It's as plain as if it were written on your face.
  這簡直就像寫在你臉上一樣明顯。
   
I can guess.
  我猜得到。
   
A: You will never believe what happened to me.
  你絕對不會相信我發生了什麼事。
   
B: I can guess. You got kicked off your baseball team.
  我猜得到。你被棒球隊踢出來了。
   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  -age 為名詞字尾,用來表示「動作;狀態;結果;比例;集合;處所」等,可接在動詞之後,或是接在形容詞或普通名詞之後使之形成抽象名詞。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  coverage n. 覆蓋範圍;新聞報導
Some news coverage is factual, and some is opinionated.
 
有些新聞報導根據事實,有些則很主觀。
   
  orphanage  n. 孤兒院
Even though he grew up in an orphanage, the boy always felt loved.
 
這個男孩雖然生長在孤兒院,卻一直都感受到疼愛。
   
  shortage  n. 缺乏;短缺
If you live on a farm, there is never a shortage of work to do.
  如果你住在農場裡,絕對不缺活幹。
   
  storage  n. 儲藏;保管;容量;儲存量
Stanley's guitar has been sitting in storage for several months.
  史丹利的吉他已放在倉庫儲藏好幾個月了。