Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2014 年 09 月 19 日 (No.685)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於告訴對方最好先處理某事,以免發生某件不欲發生的事情。
   
You'd better talk about it with your wife first in case she has a different opinion.
  你最好先跟你太太談談,說不定她會有不同的看法。
   
He'd better check with the boss in case he disagrees.
  他最好跟老闆確認,說不定老闆會反對。
   
They'd better bring their umbrellas in case it rains.
  他們最好帶著傘,免得到時候下雨。
   
Peter and Cindy had better reserve the hotel by the end of this week in case the hotel fills up.
  彼得和欣蒂最好在這週末前預訂旅館房間,免得到時候旅館客滿。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
   
You'd better wear something more conservative in case your interviewer is old-fashioned.
  你最好穿保守一點,搞不好你的面試官很傳統。
   
We'd better set up the projector in case he has a lot of visuals for his presentation.
  我們最好把投影機裝起來,也許他在報告時會用到很多影像檔。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  隨時要有萬全的準備,也就是說你要有隨身包(Go Bag)以應付緊急事故,裡面要有手電筒及備用電池(flashlight with extra batteries)、重要證件及身分證影本、備份鑰匙、急救箱(first aid kit)、緊急連絡電話、瓶裝水及乾糧(nonperishable foods)等,也可帶些書、筆記本、筆等作為消遣用!總之,多一份準備,以備不時之需。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

某事發生後才發現錯在於自己時,用來向對方道歉的用語。

   
A: I told you John would pay you back.
  我跟你說過約翰會還你錢的。
   
B: Looks like I owe you an apology. I didn't expect that.
  看來我該向你道歉。我沒料到會那樣。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
It's my fault.
  我錯了。
   
I sincerely apologize.
  我誠心道歉。
   
I'm deeply sorry for the trouble I've caused.
  惹出這麼多麻煩我真的很抱歉。
   
I'm sorry and I'd like to make it up to you.
  對不起,我希望能夠補償你。
   
I know I did something wrong.
  我知道我做錯了。
   
I know I offended you.
  我知道我冒犯你了。
   
I know I hurt your feelings.
  我知道我傷了你的心。
   
I guess I owe you an apology.
  我想我該向你道歉。
   
My bad.
  是我不好。
   
I heard you weren't the one who broke my mirror. I guess I owe you an apology.
  聽說你不是打破我鏡子的人。我想我該向你道歉。
   
A: What are you doing eating my cake?
  你幹嘛吃我的蛋糕?
   
B: This is yours? I thought it was Selena's. My bad.
  這是你的?我以為是莎琳娜的。是我不好。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  若是接受別人的道歉,可以用 it's OK, just don't do it again 來回應對方,意思就是「沒關係,不過下不為例囉!」
my bad 是表示道歉的一種說法,不過通常用在熟人朋友之間,冒犯別人的事也屬於不是很嚴重的小事,至於對上司或長輩就要用 I'm sorry 等較正式的說法,而不能用 my bad 了。
   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  -eer 為名詞字尾,用來表示「生產製造、控制處理某事的人」,或與前面所指的事相關的人,如:mountaineer(登山者)。不過很多字尾為 -eer 的字帶有貶意,如:profiteer(牟取暴利者)。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  auctioneer n. 拍賣商;拍賣人
Auctioneers are skilled at speaking quickly and clearly.
 
拍賣員說話善於說得又快又清楚。
   
  engineer  n. 工程師
Engineers used a controlled crash to test the car's safety.
 
工程師們利用一場控制下的碰撞來測試這部車的安全性。
   
  pioneer  n. 先驅;先鋒;拓荒者
Dr. Schneider was a pioneer in the field of animal behavior, and she has written many books about it.
  施耐德博士是動物行為學領域的先驅,她寫了很多相關書籍。
   
  volunteer  n. 志願者;義工
Hundreds of volunteers showed up to help clean the litter left on the nature trail.
  數以百計的義工現身協助清理遺留在自然步道上的垃圾。