Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2014 年 11 月 07 日 (No.692)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於表示某人(不)擅長做某事。
   
I admit I'm not good at controlling my emotions.
  我承認我不太會控制我的情緒。
   
We have to say he's not good at expressing his thoughts coherently.
  我們必須說他不太能夠清楚表達他的意見。
   
She's not good at speaking in public because she gets nervous very easily.
  她不善於公開演說,因為她很容易緊張。
   
Kim isn't good at expressing her emotions, so we never know how she really feels.
  小金不太會表達自己的情緒,所以我們從來都不瞭解她的感受。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
My greatest weakness? I'm not very good at working with a team.
  我最大的缺點嗎?我不太擅長團隊合作。
   
This guide is very good at explaining all the history surrounding the relics.
  這個導遊很會解說跟這些遺跡相關的歷史。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

形容某人擅長、或不善於某事時,還可以這麼說:
• Rebecca is a whiz at card games. 蕾貝卡很會玩牌。
• He's not the best at speaking in public. 公開演講他不是最擅長的。
• Jules is terrible at using computers. 朱爾斯很不會用電腦。

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

表示「絕對不可能發生」,否定程度接近百分之百。若是語氣中帶有驚訝,則表示「不敢相信某事發生了,應該不會是真的」的意思。

   
I am not going to help you cheat. No way!
  我不會幫你作弊的。不可能!
   
A: I told him that I never wanted to see him ever again.
  我跟他說再也不想看到他了。
   
B: No way! I can't believe you did that.
  不會是真的吧 !我不相信你那樣做了。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  over my dead body 看似開玩笑的口吻,但說話的人可是抱著不惜一切、必定要阻止對方的決心來預防某件事情發生。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
  指「不可能」時你還可以這麼說 !
No chance.
  不可能。
   
By no means.
  絕對不可能。
   
Out of the question.
  問都別問。
   
Not on your life.
  你有生之年都不可能。
   
Over my dead body.
  除非我死了。
   
A: Dad, can I borrow the car?
  老爸,我可以跟你借車嗎?
   
B: Not on your life. You're still grounded.
  你這輩子都不可能。你還在被禁足呢。
   
A: I'm going to dye my hair red.
  我要把頭髮染紅。
   
B: Over my dead body. Not while you're living in this house.
  除非我死了。你住在這個家裡就別想。
   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  corp、corpor 表示「身體;軀體;屍骸」的意思,後來引申表示「團體」,例如 corpse 指「屍體」,而 corporation 則指「公司;法人團體」。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  corporal adj. 身體的;肉體的;個人的;私人的
Using a whip to deliver corporal punishment is still allowed in parts of the world.
 
世界上有些地方仍允許使用鞭子作為體罰。
   
  corporate  adj. 法人組織的;公司的;共同的;全體的
The media will never get to the bottom of this corporate scandal.
 
媒體將永遠無法弄清這起企業醜聞的真相。
   
  corpulent  adj. 肥胖的
In some cultures, a corpulent body is a sign of health and wealth.
  在一些文化中,肥胖是健康與財富的象徵。
   
  corpus  n. 軀體(尤指屍體);總體;全集;資料庫
The professors used information from a corpus to write their dictionary.
  教授利用一個資料庫的資訊來編篡字典。
   
  incorporate  v. 包含;納入;吸收;合併
I incorporated an old design with modern technology to create my new product.
  我將傳統設計與現代科技結合來創造新產品。