Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2015 年 01 月 09 日 (No.701)
 
   
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於請對方針對某事稍加說明。
   
Tell me a little about your last job.
  跟我談談妳上一份工作吧。
   
Tell me a little about the training you received at your previous job.
  跟我談談你在上個工作受過的訓練。
   
Tell me a little about your education and how it might benefit this company.
  談談你的教育背景,還有對公司可能會有什麼好處。
   
Tell me a little about the biggest challenge you have faced in your career.
  說說你在職場上碰過最大的挑戰。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
Tell me a little about the side effects this medication might have.
  告訴我這種藥物可能產生的副作用。
   
Tell me a little about the special you have featured on the menu.
  跟我多介紹一點你們菜單上的特餐。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  在美國,一般大學修業四年,學生入學時就會選定主修(major),不過有許多人在前兩年修完基礎課程(introductory classes / 101 classes)後會因興趣而更換主修。大三之後再轉系的話可能就需要多一、兩年的時間,才能達到系上要求的學分(credit)。另外許多學生會選修輔系(minor),也有些人在升大三時轉唸其他學院,不過很少人會在升大四時轉院,因為這樣可能達不到主修科系的畢業學分。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

這句話用於表示對某人所說的事情深有同感。

   
A: It's not as good as it sounds in the advertisement.
  這個沒有廣告上聽起來那麼好。
   
B: That figures.
  想也知道。
   
A: I'm sorry, but you're too late. The deadline was yesterday.
  不好意思,你太晚來了。截止日期是昨天。
   
B: That figures. I'm always a day late and a dollar short.
  想也知道。我每次都不太順利。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  與 that figures 相反,表示某事不像平常那樣發生,可以用 that's odd 或是 that's weird,這兩者都有「真奇怪;不尋常」的意思。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
Figures.
  想也是。
   
That's typical.
  果不其然。
   
Typical.
  果然。
   
I should have known.
  我應該知道的。
   
A: Don is going to be late again.
  唐又要遲到了。
   
B: Typical. He never gets here on time.
  果然。他從來沒準時過。
   
A: Gina already has a boyfriend.
  吉娜有男朋友了。
   
B: I should have known. Anyone that pretty would already be taken.
  我應該知道的。那麼漂亮的人應該早就被訂走了。
   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  cur 表示「照料;關照;擔心」的意思,而 cure(治療;治癒)則帶有「照料、醫療」的意思。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  accurate adj. 準確的;正確的
Your answers were interesting, but they were not accurate.
 
你的答案很有意思,但它們並不正確。
   
  curious  adj. 好奇的;渴望求知的;古怪的
Curious people stopped to see what was going on.
 
好奇的人停下來看發生了什麼事。
   
  manicure  n. 手部護理;修指甲;美甲服務
To keep your hands looking their best, try a manicure.
  要讓手看起來漂亮,就去修指甲試試看吧。
   
  pedicure  n. 足部護理
If you have time, let's get a foot massage and a pedicure after work.
  如果你有空,下班後一起去做腳部按摩和足部護理吧。
   
  secure  v. 使安全;使牢固;確保;獲得
I secured the suitcases to the roof of the car with a rope.
  我用繩子把行李箱固定在車頂上。