Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2015 年 04 月 17 日 (No.715)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於表示讓某事處在某情況下或安排好做某事。
   
I've got a car waiting for us downstairs.
  我安排了車子在樓下等我們。
   
We've got a number of issues needing clarification.
  我們有些問題需要釐清。
   
They've got a bunch of reporters wanting to ask them questions.
  他們有一群記者等著問他們問題。
   
Tim has got the branch office preparing for the ambassador's visit.
  提姆叫分局的人準備迎接大使來訪。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
Wendy has got her boyfriend thinking she wants to get married.
  溫蒂讓她男友以為她想結婚。
   
The newly opened coffee shop has got a lot of people waiting outside.
  新開的咖啡店讓很多人在外頭等著。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  形容「一堆;很多」的計量詞除了 a bunch of,還可用:a number of、a lot of、a handful of 等等。
•He has a number of clients waiting for a reply.
他還有很多客戶在等候回覆。
•She had a lot of files needing review. 她還有很多檔案需要看。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

這句話用於別無選擇、不得不妥協的情況。

   
A: We're going to miss the train.
  我們會趕不上火車的。
   
B: What can we do? We had to go back and get the tickets.
  不然還能怎樣?我們還是得回去拿票啊。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
You can't win them all.
  你不可能一直都贏;你不可能事事順心。
   
You win some, you lose some.
  有得必有失。
   
A: Mr. Hall refuses to fund my project.
  哈爾先生拒絕資助我的計畫。
   
B: Well, you can't win them all.
  唉,你不可能事事順心。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

you win some, you lose some 一開始可是那些賭職業運動的賭徒們之間使用的話語,互相安慰說這場球賽雖然輸了,但還是有其他比賽會贏。現則為別人失敗時用來安慰對方的說法,勸人看開一點,跌倒還有爬起來的機會。另外,由於 win some, lose some, some rained out 是比喻棒球比賽可能贏、可能輸、也可能因雨取消, 因此可推測這個說法很可能是源自棒球比賽。

   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  名詞字尾 -ard、-art 用來指「執行某種行為或擁有某種特質的人」,也用來表示「太過於沈溺某種行為的人」。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  braggart n. 自誇者;自吹自擂者
No one wanted to listen to the braggart talk about his many celebrity friends.
 
沒有人想聽這個吹牛的人說他那許多名人朋友的事。
   
  drunkard  n. 醉漢;酒徒
The prosecution lost credibility when their key witness was discovered to be a drunkard.
 
原告的主要目擊證人被發現是酒鬼而失去了可靠性。
   
  laggard  n. 遲鈍懶散者;落後
Stacy's softball team remained the laggard of the league for the entire season.
  史黛西所屬的壘球隊整個球季都是聯盟中的落後隊伍。
   
  wizard  n. 高手;鬼才;男巫
Paul is a real wizard with computers; ask him to help you.
  保羅是電腦高手,請他幫你吧。