Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2015 年 05 月 01 日 (No.717)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  as用於表目的,此句型即說明目前所做的事情的目的。
   
As a special promotion, we're offering our clients a 30 percent discount.
  我們有個特別促銷活動,提供客戶七折優惠。
   
As an incentive to purchase today, I'm willing to knock off 10 percent from the original price.
  今天我願意照原價打九折來刺激買氣。
   
As a way to encourage return customers, we're giving redeemable points for each ticket bought.
  為了鼓勵客人再度光臨,每買一張票,我們就送紅利點數。
   
As a special offer, we're giving away free BabyFace dolls with each $10 purchase.
  消費滿十元,我們就送娃娃臉玩偶做為特惠。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
As a special prize, we're offering you a $50 gift certificate.
  我們將提供您五十元禮券作為特別獎。
   
As a sales promotion, the restaurant is offering free meals for children under 12.
  這間餐廳打出「十二歲以下免費用餐」的促銷方案。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  商家常會推出一些優惠活動來刺激消費,常見的促銷模式有:
• buy one, get one free / two for one 買一送一
• everything is up to 70 percent off 商品全面三折起
• three for $500 三件五百元
還有些關鍵詞你也可以記起來:特價(on sale)、特價品(sale item)、折扣價格(reduced price)、折價券(coupon)。
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

這句話隱含有「我早告訴你了,但你不信」的意思,不過比直接說出口客氣, 故不想顯得太無禮的話,可以這麼說就好了。

   
A: The judges hated my costume.
  評審們討厭我的服裝。
   
B: What did I say? If you want to play Caesar, you can't wear jeans.
  我不是早說了嗎?如果你演的是凱撒大帝,就不能穿牛仔褲。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
What did I tell you?
  我不是早告訴你了?
   
This is exactly what I said would happen.
  我早說過會發生這樣的事。(較不客氣的說法)
   
See? I told you.
  瞧,我早說了吧。
   
I hate to say I told you so.
  我還真不想說我早警告過你了。
   
I told you.
  我早說了吧。
   
A: The teacher gave me an F because he said I copied it from the Internet.
  老師把我當了,因為他說這是我從網路上抄下來的。
   
B: I told you. If you had written it yourself, you would at least have passed.
  我早說了吧。如果你自己寫至少還會及格。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

這些都是事情發生以後放馬後炮的說法,通常有些許幸災樂禍的語氣。相當於現在流行的一句話「老師說的話有沒有在聽?有沒有?!有沒有?!」。

   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  字根 fin 表示「最後;界限;完成的」,像 final(最後的)、finish(完成)都帶有這個字根的意思。另外 fine(精巧的)作名詞用時表示「罰金」,可聯想成「判決最後的結果」須賠償的意涵,而形容詞也可聯想為「精益求精以達極致」的意思。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  confine v. 限制;使侷限;拘禁
The prisoner was confined to his jail cell for 23 hours each day.
 
那名囚犯每天有二十三小時被監禁在牢房裡。
   
  define  v. 下定義;確定;界定;具體說明
Robert defines success as making lots of money.
 
羅伯把成功定義為賺大錢。
   
  finance  n. 資金;金融
My friend Patrick works in the finance department of a bank.
  我朋友派崔克在一間銀行的財務部門工作。
   
  finite  adj. 有限的;限定的
The planet's resources are finite.
  地球的資源是有限的。
   
  refine  v. 改進;調整;精練;使完善
Sally plays the piano piece well, but she wants to refine it even more by practicing.
  莎莉那首鋼琴曲彈得很好,不過她想藉由練習來更加精進琴藝。