Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2015 年 06 月 05 日 (No.722)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於表示對方可由某事物看到、得知所要陳述的事情。
   
As you can see from this graph, we're looking at a return of at least 20 percent.
  您可從這張圖表看到,我們的報酬率至少有兩成。
   
As you can see from this chart, pay has increased by 10 percent.
  你可以從這張圖表看到,支付額已經增加了百分之十。
   
The market has shrunk, as you can see from this report.
  你可以從這份報告看到,市場已經萎縮了。
   
As you can see from this document, electronics sales have dropped over the last quarter.
  你可以從這份文件看到,上一季電子產品的銷售額下滑。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
As you can see from this rash, sleeping near poisonous oak is not a good idea.
  你看這個疹子就知道,在有毒的橡樹附近睡覺絕非明智之舉。
   
I paid full price for this sweater even though it was on sale, as you can see from this receipt.
  你看這張收據就知道,雖然毛衣在特價,我卻付了全額。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  作簡報時可由圖表清楚呈現數字變化、差異性等,常見的圖表包括:
line graph 折線圖
bar graph/chart 長條圖
pie chart / circle graph 圓餅圖
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

用來抱怨他人的無理取鬧,或無法理解他人的行為時使用。

   
Did you see Arthur today? What's his problem?
  你今天有看到亞瑟嗎?他哪根筋不對了?
   
A: Jackson said he was tired and went home.
  傑克森說他累了然後就回家了。
   
B: What's his problem? It's not even ten.
  他哪根筋不對了?現在還沒十點耶。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
What's bugging him?
  他在煩惱什麼?
   
What's wrong with him?
  他怎麼了?
   
What's eating him?
  他在煩惱什麼?
   
Did he wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
  他是起床氣是不是?
   
What's got his knickers in a twist?
  他有什麼不滿的?
   
A: Howard has been going crazy today, yelling at people left and right.
  霍華德今天一直發神經,動不動就對人大呼小叫的。
   
B: What's got his knickers in a twist? All he's doing is making people mad.
  他有什麼不滿的?他做的不過都是些讓大家抓狂的事情罷了。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

What's eating you? 是個很常聽到的俚語。當你覺得某人像是被某事給困擾、侵蝕著,以致於整個人不大對勁的時候,就可以用這句話來問他「到底發生什麼事了」。

   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  字根 fort 表示「堅固;堅強」的意思,fort 在英文中即表示「堡壘;要塞」,而 forte 則表示「專長;特長」,亦可看出帶有「堅強」的含意。此字根亦可拼成 forc,force(力量;武力)即為同源字。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  comfort n., v. 舒適;安逸;安慰
Carla ran to comfort the crying child.
 
卡拉跑去安慰那個正在哭的小孩。
   
  effort  n. 努力;盡力;心血;試圖
I make an effort to get at least a little bit of physical exercise every day.
 
我努力每天至少做點體能運動。
   
  enforce  v. 強迫;執行;實施(法律);極力主張
The police installed cameras throughout the city to help enforce the speed limit.
  警方在全市安裝相機以協助執行超速取締。
   
  fortify  v. 築防禦工事;增強;加強
One way to fortify your case is to know all the facts.
  強化你案子的一個方法就是了解所有的事實。
   
  fortitude  n. 堅忍;剛毅
Janet faced cancer with great fortitude.
  珍娜特堅忍不拔地面對癌症。