Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  每月新書限時優惠
 
2015 年 06 月12 日 (No.723)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於表示根據某事物、數據、猜測等來作決策或進一步的行動。
   
Based on his earlier comments, we should be able to see a nearly 25 percent return.
  根據他之前的說法,我們應該可以有將近百分之二十五的報酬率。
   
Based on these figures, we should have a good season.
  根據這些數字,我們這一季的表現應該不錯。
   
We can't expect to grow much more, based on these estimates.
  根據這些估算,我們預期無法有太多的成長。
   
Based on what I've heard, we'll be moving our location to Singapore.
  根據我聽到的消息,我們的據點將要遷到新加坡。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
Based on what the guests are telling us, your chicken salad is the most popular dish.
  根據客人跟我們說的,你的雞肉沙拉是最受歡迎的一道菜。
   
Based on the blood tests we've run, we have no reason to believe your condition is serious.
  根據我們所做的血液檢驗,我們並不覺得你的情況非常嚴重。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
  利用圖表作簡報時,描述圖表呈現趨勢的英語可以這麼說:
•a sharp decline 驟減
•at a high of 在……高點
•flatten out 狀態平穩
•a hiccup 小幅波動
•a steady rise/upswing 穩定增加/上揚
•a steady fall/dip/drop/downswing 穩定下滑/減沙/衰減/下跌
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

此句源自 What does it do?,口語中唸得很快而形成連音 What's。此句是用來詢問某物的功能是什麼,句中的 it 可以用任何物件來代替。

   
I've never seen this before. What's it do?
  我從沒看過這玩意。這做什麼用的?
   
A: What's this button on the side of your phone do?
  你電話旁邊的這個按鈕是做什麼用的?
   
B: That lets you control the MP3 player.
  用來控制 MP3 播放器的。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說.......................
What can it do?
  這可以怎麼用?
   
Can you put it through its paces for me?
  你可以把步驟告訴我嗎?
   
Can you show me its features?
  你可以示範它的功能給我看嗎?
   
Can you show me what it does?
  你可以示範這可以幹嘛嗎?
   
What does it do?
  這功能是什麼?
   
A: This looks neat. What does it do?
  這看起來很酷。這功能是什麼?
   
B: It keeps your tea warm. You just set your cup on it.
  用來保溫茶的。你把杯子放上去就好了。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

what'd it do 和 what's it do 看起來非常相近,不過 what'd it do 最早可是源自非裔美洲人的問候語,意思等同於 what's up。

   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  字根 fus 或寫成 fuse 表示「傾瀉;鎔鑄」的意思,fuse 作名詞用時還表示「保險絲;導火線;引信」。像 confuse(使混淆、困惑)這個字就不難想像「所有東西傾瀉在一起」而讓人覺得混淆、難以理解了。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  diffuse v. 傳播;散布;普及;四散
Social networks diffuse information quickly and widely.
 
社交網絡會將資訊迅速傳播得很廣。
   
  infuse  v. 注入;灌輸
The essence of technological innovation is to infuse new life into something traditional.
 
科技創新的真諦是將傳統的東西賦與新的生命。
   
  profuse  adj. 浪費的;充沛的;豐富的
For Luke, profuse sweating in the summer is so normal that he always carries an extra shirt.
  對路克來說,夏天大量流汗是正常的,所以他常多帶一件衣服。
   
  refuse  v. 拒絕;不願意
I told Brad that he could have some of my lunch, but he refused.
  我告訴布萊德我的午餐可以分一些給他吃,但是他拒絕了。
   
  transfusion  n. 注入;灌注
The little girl lost a lot of blood during her surgery and had to get a transfusion.
  那名小女孩在手術中大量失血,得進行輸血。