I've heard enough of your bragging. I'll believe it when I see it.
我聽夠了你的吹噓。等我親眼見到了,我就會相信。
A: I'm certain I'll get a perfect score on the SAT.
我很確定我美國高考可以考滿分。
B: Oh, really? I'll believe it when I see it.
是喔?等我親眼見到了,我就會相信。
★你還可以這麼說!......................
I won't believe it until I see it.
沒有親眼看到前,我是不會相信的。
I'll have to see it to believe it.
眼見為憑。
I'll have to see it with my own eyes.
我得親眼看見才行。
A: Preston said he bought a new Porsche.
培斯頓說他買了輛新的保時捷。
B: I'll believe it when I see it. Don't you remember he also said he had a jet?
等我親眼看到了,我就會相信。你不記得他還說過他有台噴射機嗎?
★你也可以這麼說!......................
I take what he says with a grain of salt.
他的話我要打點折扣。
You talk the talk, but do you walk the walk?
說是這樣說,但你能說到做到嗎?
You say you're a great pool player. You talk the talk, but do you walk the walk?
你說你是個撞球高手。說是這樣說,但是是真的嗎?
★你知道嗎?.........................
with a grain of salt 起源於拉丁文 cum grano salis,據說早期某種解毒祕方的服用方法,就是將藥和著鹽吞下,藥方才會有效果,少了鹽就不能完全發揮作用。所以 take what he says with a grain of salt 就表示他講的事情少了那麼一點真實性,不能夠完全相信的意思。
.....................................
★大師開講..........................
gram 現在最常見的意思是指「公克」,作為字根時則表示「書寫;圖像」的意思,像 program 可從「事先書寫」聯想為「計畫」,而 graph 則指「圖表;圖像」。
★必學應用字彙........................
autograph v. 親筆簽名
The basketball player autographed the ball for his fan.
那名籃球員替球迷在籃球上簽名。
photograph n. 照片
The mountain top was so beautiful we stopped to take a photograph.
山頂太美了,所以我們停下來拍照。
diagram n. 圖表;圖解;一覽圖
Ken made a diagram of the company's structure.
肯恩製作圖表來呈現公司的組織結構。
geography n.地理;地理學;地形;地理環境
In geography class, the students learned the names of all the countries in Europe.
學生們在地理課中學到歐洲所有國家的名稱。
polygraph n.測謊機
Ted knew he didn't do anything wrong but was still afraid of failing the polygraph test.