Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  Live互動美語學校
 
2015 年 09 月 04 日 (No.735)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  用於表示對於某人無法做某事而感到遺憾。I'm afraid 用於禮貌地告訴對方可能會使其失望、惱怒或不快的事情,與 I'm sorry 意思相近。
   
To be honest, I'm afraid I really don't know enough about the subject.
  老實說,關於這個主題,我知道的恐怕不夠多。
   
I'm afraid we don't really understand why you would choose that course of action for this project.
  很遺憾,我們不太理解針對那項計劃你為什麼要選擇那個行動方案。
   
I'm afraid she doesn't understand the speaker's underlying reasons for the change.
  恐怕她並不瞭解演講者訴求改變的根本原因。
   
We're afraid we don't think talking about such a project is in our interest at this time.
  很遺憾,我們覺得此時談論這項方案對我們無益。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
I'm afraid we don't allow pets on public transportation.
  恐怕我們並不准民眾帶寵物搭乘公共運輸。
   
I'm afraid I don't have your ticket for the Kabuki show.
  你那場歌舞伎表演的票恐怕不在我這裡。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

擔心某人或某事時,還可以這麼說:
•I'm half-afraid May doesn't know about the changes.
我有點擔心梅對於修改並不知情。
•Ed fears we reserved the car at the wrong airport.
艾德擔心我們沒有在正確的機場預約車子。
•Bob is worried Tom doesn't have the speech memorized.
鮑伯擔心湯姆沒有把演說內容背起來。

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

表強烈贊同對方所說的話。

   
A: Jessica Alba is the prettiest actress ever.
  潔西卡.艾巴是最漂亮的女演員了。
   
B: You can say that again. I can watch her for hours.
  一點也沒錯。我可以好幾個小時都看著她。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說!......................
You said it.
  一點也沒錯。
   
You're right.
  沒錯。
   
Well said.
  說的好。
   
I agree.
  我同意。
   
Exactly.
  正是。
   
You got that right.
  你說對了。
   
You're not just whistling Dixie.
  你不是開玩笑的。
   
That's for sure.
  對啊。
   
A: Audrey is a really good cook.
  奧黛莉的確是名好廚師。
   
B: That's for sure. I still remember the dinner party she gave.
  對啊,我還記得她舉辦的那次晚宴。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

如果與對方持相反意見,可以用 what are you talking about 這句話來表示不贊同。

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  hes, her (或可拼成 here) 表示「黏住;黏著」,像 adhere 這個字就表示「黏附;堅持」的意思。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  adhere v. 堅持;遵守(之後常接介系詞 to)
All of our products adhere to the highest standards of hygiene.
 
我們所有產品都堅守最嚴格的衛生標準。
   
  coherence  n. 前後一致;一貫性(亦可拼作 coherency)
The essay lost points for lacking coherence.
 
這篇小論文因為缺乏條理而重點不清楚。
   
  cohesion  n. 結合;凝聚
Culture is the cohesion of ideas and beliefs.
  文化是想法與信念的結合。
   
  hesitate  v. 猶豫;躊躇;疑慮
Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions you have.
  你有任何問題要問我都請不要遲疑。
   
  inherent  adj. 內在的;固有的;與生俱來的
Some of the best managers have an inherent ability to lead.
  有些優秀經理人天生具有領導者的能力。