Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  Live互動美語學校
 
2015 年 09 月 11 日 (No.736)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  不直接否決某事物,而以委婉的方式提出不同的意見。
   
This is good, but why are these lines so thin in this part?
  這個不錯,不過為什麼這個部份的線條這麼細?
   
These business cards are good, but don't you think we should make the lettering smaller?
  這些名片不錯,但是你不覺得我們應該縮小字級嗎?
   
This ad is good, but we think the art should be brighter.
  這張廣告不錯,不過我們覺得設計應該再明亮點。
   
That was good, but you'd better speak a little more loudly when you give the speech.
  表現不錯,不過你演講時應該要再大聲一點。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
These academic references are good, but you'll need one from a former employer to get into the Ph.D. program.
  這些學術界的推薦函是不錯,但是你需要一份之前雇主的推薦函才能唸博士。
   
These oysters are good, but wait until you try the clams.
  這些牡蠣味道不錯,但是等你嚐過蛤蜊再說。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

通常不贊同對方意見時,可以用下列的說法開場讓語氣委婉,也比較能讓對方接受你的意見:
•This is all right, but...
•This is fine, but...
•This is satisfactory, but...
•This is suitable, but...
•This isn't bad, but...

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

形容對方看起來精神不振或非常憔悴的樣子。

   
Dude, you look like hell. Have you seen a doctor?
  老兄,你看起來很糟糕。你去看醫生了嗎?
   
A: Oh, Susan. What's wrong? You look like hell.
  蘇珊,怎麼啦?妳看起來很糟糕。
   
B: Frank dumped me for another girl. I can't stop crying.
  法蘭克為了另一個女的把我給甩了。我沒辦法不哭。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說!......................
You look like you've been run over by a lawnmower.
  你看起來像被鋤草機輾過一樣。
   
You look like something the cat dragged in.
  你看起來很落魄。
   
A: Hey, Jack. You look like something the cat dragged in. Rough day?
  傑克,你看起來很落魄。今天很倒楣嗎?
   
B: Rough two days. I was up all night working.
  這兩天都很倒楣。我整晚沒睡都在工作。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

貓在將獵物殺死前,習慣會先把獵物玩弄一番後再動手。等到拖回家後,被蹂躪過的獵物通常都已面目全非了。所以形容別人看起來像 something the cat dragged in 表示對方看起來非常潦倒不堪。

   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  字根 it 表示「行走;去;來」的意思,英文中許多字如:visit (拜訪)、circuit (環形路線)、orbit (軌道) 等都帶有字根 it。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  ambition n. 野心;抱負;企圖
Albert's ambition has always been to be a pilot.
 
艾伯特的抱負一直是想當名機師。
   
  exit  n. 出口;離開;(劇場)退場
If there is a fire, you should walk calmly to the nearest exit.
 
如果有火警,你必須冷靜地走到最近的出口。
   
  initial  adj. 開始的;最初的
My initial reaction to the news was shock; later, I felt fear.
  聽到這個消息我第一個反應是震驚,後來我感到恐懼。
   
  itinerary  n. 旅程;路線;遊記
The itinerary was full of trips to museums and landmarks.
  這趟旅程盡是博物館與景點之旅。
   
  transit  n. 通過;過境;運輸
The airline told me my luggage was lost in transit.
  航空公司告訴我我的行李在過境時弄丟了。