Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  Live互動美語學校
 
2015 年 09 月 18 日 (No.737)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  此句為假設語氣,表示某事過去若怎麼做的話則會比較完美,用於表示與過去事實相反的情況。
   
If the lines had been moving up instead of down, that part would have been perfect.
  如果線條往上而不是往下,那這部份就很完美了。
   
If he hadn't raised so many issues at once, his presentation would have been perfect.
  要是他沒有一次提出這麼多議題,他的報告就很完美了。
   
The commercial would have been perfect if it had had a different ending.
  這則廣告要是能改掉結局就會很完美。
   
The office party would have been perfect if the band had played less pop music.
  要是樂隊少演奏些流行樂,公司的派對就很完美了。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
If you hadn't gotten in that accident, our vacation would have been perfect.
  要是你沒有發生意外,我們的假期就會很完美了。
   
If they had bought the picture frame in a different color, the color scheme of this room would have been perfect.
  要是他們買另一個顏色的相框,這間房間的配色就會很完美了。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

Is the glass half full or half empty? 並不是一個單純問你水杯的水有多少的問題,這其實稱作石蕊測驗(litmus test),就是由你的回答來判別你的個性。如果你的回答是 half full,表示你對人生抱持樂觀積極的態度,如果回答為 half empty,則表示你的個性較為悲觀消極。

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

對方的行為不合乎常理時,可以用這句話表達自己並不贊同對方的行徑。

   
I heard you're going out in this snow. You must be mad.
  聽說你雪下這麼大要出門。你一定是瘋了。
   
A: I'm going to challenge Lance to a game of pool.
  我要跟藍斯挑戰撞球。
   
B: You must be mad. He's so good you won't even get a shot.
  妳一定是瘋了。他強得很,妳沒機會贏的。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說!......................
Are you crazy?
  你瘋了嗎?
   
You're insane.
  你瘋了。
   
You're off your rocker.
  你發神經喔?
   
Are you out of your mind?
  你瘋了嗎?
   
Do you have a screw loose?
  你哪根筋不對?
   
Are you out of your mind? Toby will never agree to lend us his car.
  你瘋了嗎?托比絕對不會把車借給我們的。
   
A: I'm going to be a brain surgeon.
  我要當腦科醫生。
   
B: Do you have a screw loose? You hate to study. How would you get through med school?
  妳哪根筋不對?妳討厭唸書。妳要怎麼讀醫學院?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

have a screw loose 字面上的解釋為「鬆脫的螺絲釘」,這句話以機器的螺絲釘鬆脫就不能正常運轉來作比喻,形容某人「精神狀況不佳;腦筋不正常」。相反地,欲形容人「頭腦伶俐;十分聰明」,英文可以用 have one's head screwed on right。

   
   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  ject 表示「投擲;猛衝」的意思,如 eject 表示「彈出;噴出」,而 project 做動詞表示「投影;投射」,含此字根的字多帶有「拋出」的動作。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  conjecture n. 猜測;推測
Saying the woman was asleep during the robbery is just conjecture.
 
說那名女子在搶案過程中睡著了只是個猜測。
   
  eject  v. 彈出;逐出;噴出;退(片)
Military pilots can press a button to eject themselves from the plane when in danger.
 
軍機飛行員在危急時可按一個按鈕讓自己從飛機中彈出去。
   
  inject  v. 引入;投入;注射
Medicine can be injected into muscles or veins.
  藥物可注入肌肉或血管中。
   
  interject  v. 插話;插嘴
If I may interject; I disagree with your statement.
  請容我插個話,我不同意你的說法。
   
  object  v. 反對;抗辯
Fran objected to her daughter's moving abroad.
  法蘭反對她女兒搬到國外去。