Live互動英語雜誌  
 
  Live互動美語學校
 
2015 年 10 月 23 日 (No.742)
 
 
 
   
 
  ★這麼用...........................
  常用於談判時,說明甲方在某事上可退讓,而乙方也必須做的妥協。
   
We could negotiate the cost, but we'll need to reconsider something.
  花費我們可以協商,但有些東西我們需要重新考慮。
   
You could return the item, but I'll need to give you store gift certificates instead of a refund.
  你可以退貨,但我只能換給你我們的商品券而不能退款。
   
We could offer you a higher salary, but you'll need to talk to Judith about your benefits package.
  我們可以提高一點薪資,但是你必須跟茱蒂絲談你的員工福利。
   
They could change, but they'd need to know now.
  他們可以變更,但是他們必須現在知道。
   
  ★延伸應用..........................
I could give you a front-row seat, but we'll need to charge you more.
  我可以給你前排的座位,但是我們需要跟你多收費用。
   
She could go with us, but she'd need to get a babysitter first.
  她可以跟我們一起去,但是她得先找到臨時保姆。
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

員工福利(benefits package)內容可能包括因國家、文化或公司而不同,以美國為例,常見的工作福利內容:醫療、牙科或眼科等健康保險(medical, dental, and vision health insurance)、壽險和失能險(life and disability insurance)、通勤津貼(commuter discounts)、退休金及其他儲蓄規劃(401K and other savings plans)、股票選擇權(stock options)、員工訓練課程(training sessions)、員購折扣(product discounts)、團體折扣優惠(group discounts)

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

指該準備的都已經齊全了,可以正式開始行動。

   
Just sign here and here. OK, you're all set. Here are your keys.
  只要在這裡和這裡簽名。好啦,你都弄好了。你的鑰匙在這裡。
   
A: Is there anything else we have to do?
  還有什麼我們要做的嗎?
   
B: No, you're all set.
  沒有啦,你都準備好了。
   
  ★你還可以這麼說!......................
Everything's ready.
  全都好了。
   
You're good to go.
  你準備好(可以出發)了。
   
A: I've checked your oil and filled the car with gas. You're good to go.
  我已經檢查了你的油箱,而且也把油加滿了。你準備好可以出發了。
   
B: Great. How much do we owe you?
  太好了。一共多少錢?
   
  ★你知道嗎?.........................
 

set 有「預先準備」的意思,在賽跑比賽時,裁判的口令中文版本為「各就位,預備,跑」,英文版本就是 ready, get set, go 喔!

   
 
 
 
 
   
 
  ★大師開講..........................
  -ese 衍生自國家、城市或地方名詞,可作形容詞或名詞用,主要用來表示其居民或語言。後來 -ese 也用於某些地方名詞之後,通常帶有玩笑的意味,用來形容具有某地的口音、風格或行話,如:Brooklynese 就指「布魯克林地區的口音」。
   
  ★必學應用字彙........................
   
  Cantonese n. 粵語(的);廣東人(的)
Sylvie picked up a few Cantonese phrases while living in Hong Kong.
 
賽薇住在香港時學會了一些廣東用語。
   
  Japanese  n. 日語(的);日本人(的)
I happen to know where to find a good Japanese restaurant. Let's go!
 
我剛好知道有家很棒的日本料理餐廳。走吧!
   
  Siamese  n. 暹邏人(的);暹邏語(的)
The blue-eyed kitten in the corner is a Siamese cat.
  轉角那隻藍眼睛的小貓是暹邏貓。
   
  Vietnamese  n. 越南人(的);越南語(的)
I am very unhappy with the service at the Vietnamese restaurant I was at last night.
  我對昨晚那家越南餐廳的服務相當不滿。